This time around I must say labor was a very pleasant experience. We were ready this time! This baby didn't want to come out on her due date (4/24) so my doctor allowed me to get an induction. I was actually hoping labor would come on its own but I couldn't wait any longer. So we scheduled my induction for 4/27 at 6 a.m. Well.... that didn't exactly happened. From this experience I learned that my hospital of choice (Kapiolani Medical Center) was super busy and rooms were very scarce. Although you schedule to induce at a certain date and time, it doesn't mean you'll go in at that time. In fact the night before I get a call from the hospital telling me to call them at 6 a.m. to see if there were any rooms available. A nurse then would let me know if I should come in or wait a couple of hours to call again. Of course that's exactly what happened. The next morning I called at 6 a.m. only to be told to call back at 8 a.m. I called back at 8 a.m. only to be told to call back at 10 a.m. I was starting to get annoyed because I seemed to have wasted half my day waiting for nothing. But I guess the third time is the charm because the nurse finally told me that I could come it at 12 noon. We were exhausted but realized that this was it!
We headed to the hospital. Checked in with admissions and waited again in the waiting room, still waiting on a room to become available. While waiting we went to get a bite to eat at the cafeteria. We didn't get into a room until 4 p.m., yup... 4 p.m. I was exhausted, hungry and couldn't wait to get things started. Once we got a room things were so much better because Huy and I got to relax. He couldn't wait to turn on the TV and watch the NBA playoffs and I couldn't wait to get situated. It was nice just the two of us in the room. It was peaceful and we enjoyed the comfort of our room and talking with my nurse.
After getting situated, Huy went to get dinner at the cafeteria. I had a liquid dinner (compliments of the hospital -- ice pop, juice, ice chips, etc.) I was hungry, but because they started me on the pitocin and IV hooked up to me I wasn't allowed. Now all there was to do was wait. At least this time around there were free movies to watch in the room. Huy and I went through several movies just passing time. I decided to get my epidural a little earlier before pain actually started so I'd be fortunate to feel pressure when it was time to push. (*Last experience made it extremely difficult to push because I was totally numb) During this pregnancy, I think because I had an empty stomach I felt more nauseous as more pitocin was pumping into me. I actually threw up several times (which was unpleasant) I didn't start to progress with labor until the following morning around 5 a.m. It still took a couple more hours until I was given the go ahead to push!
On April 28, 2011 at 8:21 a.m. we finally met Miss Isla Chiyoko Lam for the very first time! She was perfect! Apgar score was high, her cry was beautiful, her eyes so sweet and she felt perfect in my arms!
After getting cleaned, I couldn't wait to hear what her weight and size were. Huy came back to me telling me, "7 lbs 15.5 oz and 22 in long"! Nice.
No comments:
Post a Comment