Friday, September 2, 2011

Celebrating 8 years of happiness this Labor Day!

It was the summer of 1994 and a friend of mine asked me if I'd like to go with her to a church function with her.  She told me it was called Youth Conference where a bunch of kids our age would attend for spiritual activities and dances.  I thought, sounds like fun.  Because it was a 2-1/2 day event we made it a sleepover at her house.  The day time activities were fun.  I learned a lot of new things, such as self defense and some kind of dancing (its been years...)

Who would have ever thought I'd meet the man I marry?

He was young, tall, dark, handsome, well built and had gorgeous hair.  (I think his height was what caught my attention first.) I always knew I wanted someone taller than me (not that I'm that tall but I think height in a guy is a plus)  He and the group he was with stuck out from the crowd at Youth Conference.  They were all pretty big and tall.  A lot of the other guys there weren't as tall.  People said they were from the Waialua Ward.  I had no idea where that was.

I remember at one of the dances he asked me to dance.  (Well, today he "claims" he was being courteous and asking the whole table if anyone wanted to dance, but I knew he wanted to dance with me, he was only looking at me when he asked) I found out his name (I had a hard time comprehending a name like that but I thought, "cool")

The next day at the chapel for the conclusion of the Youth Conference we got a chance to talk again.  He was pleasantly easy to talk to, as if we were friends for a while.  He could make me laugh and his smile was most memorable.  We went our separate ways but still kept in touch somehow (being that he was from Waialua and I from Waipahu)  We didn't go to the same school but we managed to keep in touch.

Fast forward several years... He decided to serve his mission in Japan (which I thought was awesome!) for 2 years.  We kept in touch by writing every week.  He returned home figuring out what he wanted to do.  He decided to live in California for a few years to try playing football.  We were apart again but we still kept in touch.

While he was in California I thought I'd learn more about his religion.  I decided to meet with missionaries with my friend (whom invited me to that very same Youth Conference where I met him).  I had the honor to have him baptize me.

In 2001 surprisingly he decided to come home and proposed to me at Mokuleia beach.  It was unexpected but such a happy, happy day for both of us.  We didn't know how we'd get married but we knew that is what we both wanted.

On September 6, 2003 we made it official.  We knew we didn't want a big wedding because, 1) we had no money and 2) we didn't want the stress that came along with it.  We knew it was for us and only us.  We only wanted the people that we cared most about there.  So... two weeks before the date we said we were going to do it.  We wanted to get married at the very place he proposed to me 2 years prior, at Mokuleia Beach.  I got my dress, found a photographer, used a local florist for flowers all in 2 weeks!



Our little wedding party.
The two people Huy and I care about the most!

As a newlywed couple we enjoyed our first place together.  It was a studio in Pearl City but it was home for us.  We enjoyed celebrating our first Thanksgiving...




We also celebrated our first Christmas together...
Huy knew I wanted a real tree, so he got me one.
He even put lights up in our studio.  It looked so pretty at night!

Three years later on October 10, 2003 we started our little family.  Miss Elle Healani Leativa Lam joined us!

We moved 3 times since we were married but finally bought our home in February 2011!


Two months later on April 28, 2011 we welcomed Isla Chiyoko Lam!

We knew each other for nearly 17 years! That is pretty much half our lives. This upcoming Labor Day will be a celebration of 8 years of great times together!  After all we've been through I am so grateful and lucky to have found my soulmate and best friend. It has been the best 8 years! We have a beautiful home and two adorable little girls. We look forward to many new adventures with our little girls and celebrating many, many more years of marriage together!

No comments: